Thursday 9 November 2017

Francis John Feasey’s Letter from The Front

This is a transcript of  a letter Francis John Feasey sent from the Front to his elder sister Elsie. In it he mentions his friend Frank Inskipp, who also died at the Somme on the 1st July 1916. Frank Inskipp is remembered at Darfield. The letter was kindly shared with me by Francis Feasey's great nephew in New Zealand, Michael Riley (The letter was written as one long sentence.)

Dearest Elsie,
With greatest of pleasure I now write you these few lines and no doubt you have had a letter from my pal, Frank Inskip, but I have had no letter from you saying whether you received them cards or not and tell Mildred to let me know whether she received hers or not herself (but you know I don’t mean our Millie) and I should like to know how you are going on in world so do drop me a line as well as my pal as there is only mother that writes to me just now only Cousin Florrie and she sends me two packets of Gold Flake cigarettes pretty regular and there’s about 50 in one packet so can get a few sometimes but I don’t care much for them sort as I would rather have a wild Woodbine cigarette than any sort you can mention so if you don’t mind and wish to do me a favour you can do by sending me a few Woodbine cigarettes so I can enjoy a good smoke and if there is anything that you would like from here just let me know what it is and I will try to get what you want if I can get it but don’t ask for anything that I am not allowed to send or anything that I can’t get so don’t forget will you and I would like a locket with your photo and you’re mate’s photo (Mildred, I mean) so I shall have something to keep reminding me of you and I have got a cigarette case with a picture in and I have took that out and put your old photo in so I can see what you look like any time I want a smoke but I should like something for a keepsake so if you see a locket cheap send me one with your two photos in but I will close with best love and good luck to you from your ever-loving brother,
Frank

Elsie Feasey
Frank Inskipp
Francis John 'Frank' Feasey


No comments:

Post a Comment